Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Letting go of darkness

Did anyone ever read the Secret? It's basically a (semi) self help book and video about being positive and using your thoughts and actions to get what you want in life . "What you think and say is what will be...so don't be negative or you will get negativity in your life" It seems like an easy thing to master but it isn't. I can't tell you how many times a day I find myself sinking into negativity which sucks. (See, there I go again...)

I remember seeing the video and thinking "What a load of crap!" but in retrospect, I've discovered that thoughts are more powerful than anything standing solid on this earth. Negative thoughts can take the strongest man and reduce him to a weeping mess. Negative thoughts can turn a confident woman into an insecure train wreck. So how do you blast yourself out of negativity? I guess the first thing is to account for everything that you are grateful for. In my own life I'm grateful that I'm intelligent and creative, have multiple college degrees, have a wonderful mother who supports me, a few close friends who I know would die for me, and a man who forgives my faults and doubts and still loves me at the end of the day even if I don't deserve it. When you think about it, that's a lot to be joyful about.

My dad was an alcoholic for a long time, still is. I'm not sure if you ever stop being one even if you haven't had a drink in 20 years. But anyway,  he used to go to Alcoholic Anonymous meetings and they had this whole system for getting through the addiction process that started with acceptance. Acceptance is saying "Yes, I have a problem. I recognize this. I'm going to do something about it. That's why I'm here." There was a mantra that they always said that I don't think I'll ever forgot. I'm not an alcoholic but I really feel like this saying applies to all areas of life and goes along with being a positive person.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change what I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I really feel the weight of these words in all of my being. Why dwell on what you can never fix? Why beat yourself up over things that you have zero control over? Understand and accept when to give up. And probably most importantly,   don't live in negativity and unhappiness if there is something that you can do  about the problem. Be grateful for the good in life and what you have...and don't stay in a dark place because you don't have the desire or willpower to change it. Start working on it. Patience and persistence will pay off in the end. And if you do all you can and nothing changes, you know that you tried and you can add that problem to the "Accept what I can't change" pile and move on, confident that you did all that you could do.


Today I'm trying to be upbeat and get on with the show. I think it's working :)

I've posted a song that I feel goes with what I'm saying - "Let Go" by FrouFrou. It kind of reminds me to let go of my negativity and appreciate beautiful things in the moment.

"drink up, baby down
mmm, are you in or are you out
leave your things behind
'cause it's all going off without you
excuse me, too busy you're writing your tragedy
these mishaps
you bubble wrap
when you've no idea what you're like

so let go, jump in
oh well, whatcha waiting for
it's alright
'cause there's beauty in the breakdown
so let go, just get in
oh, it's so amazing here
it's alright
'cause there's beauty in the breakdown"


No comments:

Post a Comment