Monday, May 9, 2011

The Fairfield County Way

When most people think of Fairfield County, Connecticut they think of the life of the rich and leisurely - sweaters draped over shoulders, pepto bismol pink tennis skirts embroidered with tiny navy blue spouting whales. Some part of that conception is true and something I see everyday. The other part of that life is deeper and darker. What do those people do behind closed doors? Everything is different inside the golden cage. We are all in cages of our own making.

This weekend Scott and I went to the Dogwood Festival. It was basically a small local craft/antique fair in the Greenfield Hills neighborhood of Fairfield. Initially I wasn't looking forward to it but decided to go because I desperately needed to get out of the house and Scott wanted to prove that we don't always sit on the couch and watch tv. (I love this man so much. He would do anything to try and make me happy). We wandered beneath the flowering dogwood trees planted on this ancient town green and looked at the local art. We also did a fair bit of people watching and you guessed it, saw plenty of WASPy families enjoying the day - their children fresh from the face painting tent.

Can that idyllic life really be enough? Can any life really be enough? I was thinking about the past after we walked by a group of people dressed up as old colonial settlers. Back in the day people worked, struggled, worshipped God, had children, and died. We still do, we just don't have to struggle quite so much. Maybe we still do struggle but in different ways. Can that be all it really is?  What are we here for? For these brief and fleeting moments of beauty, joy, and love? It seems like a whole lot of work for those short bursts, don't you think? Sometimes I really wish I could turn off my head.

Here is a song I'm listening to now. It tells me that life is not just a progression to the inevitable. Maybe there is more to it after all? http://grooveshark.com/s/We+Are+All+Made+Of+Stars/1ZlVyW?src=5

Anyway, below are some pictures of the day.






No comments:

Post a Comment