Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Keep Truckin'

I read this on someone's blog and it made me think. Anything that really makes you think is worth writing about, right?

"If you're going through hell...keep going." - Winston Churchill

Why do people need medication to cope with stressful situations? For most of my teenage and adult life I've been on and off antidepressants so I can't really pass any judgement. My problem was that I would dwell on things until they started to eat away at me. I'm a perfectionist by nature so this was a terrible combination - perfectionism and obsession don't mesh well. I'm ok now. I've learned how to cope with that aspect of my personality and diffuse it. So how can I question and criticize what once helped me? I mean, I recognize that many people really need that extra help and I know I would never have survived my teenage years without the drugs, lol, but a lot of people seem to jump on that bandwagon as soon as anything stressful happens. What I see is people looking for the easy way out through patching, medicating, and forgetting.

I think it's time to just face the faceable problems head first and work it out the old fashioned way. Go through it, live it, learn from it, keep going, keep loving, move on.

I could write a whole book about letting go of what's gone. Let's all do ourselves a favor a keep going, keep truckin'.

And so I transition to the Grateful Dead...

No comments:

Post a Comment